less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- 2 duck eggs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 garlic clove
- 330g/11½oz duck fat
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced into half moon shapes
- 240g/9oz sushi-grade yellow fin tuna, cut into small dice
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled, cut into segments and diced, juice reserved
- 1 firm mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 stick fresh horseradish
- ¼ loaf sourdough, cut into slices, to serve
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Separate the eggs and place the yolks in a pan of warm duck fat. Save the whites for another recipe. Add the bay leaf, thyme and garlic to the fat.
Cook the yolks for 30 minutes, maintaining a temperature of 53C. Carefully remove the yolks from the pan with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
Meanwhile, blanch the courgette in a pan of boiling water for a few seconds. Quickly drain and cool.
Mix together the tuna and grapefruit and season with salt.
Dress the mango and courgette in two 8cm/3in metal cooking rings placed on serving plates, top with the tuna and then finish with an egg yolk on top. Grate a little fresh horseradish over the top.
Whisk together a tablespoon of the reserved grapefruit juice and the olive oil and drizzle over the tartare. Serve with grilled sourdough soldiers.