less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
Hairy Bikers recipes
From Hairy Bikers – Chicken & Egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cloves, roughly broken up
- generous pinch of saffron, soaked in a little water
- 300ml/10fl oz chicken stock or water
- 1 whole chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into strips
- 20 green olives
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large tagine, casserole or a deep frying pan. Add the onions and gently over a medium heat until softened and lightly golden-brown.
Add the garlic along with all the spices. Cook for a further minute, then push everything aside in the pan. Add the chicken pieces skin-side down and fry for a few minutes on each side. Season with salt and then pour over the stock or water.
Bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for around 45 minutes, or until the chicken is nearly falling off the bone. Turn the chicken regularly to prevent it sticking.
Add half the preserved lemons and the olives and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and coriander just before serving. Garnish with the remaining preserved lemon and serve immediately.