less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
- 150ml/5½oz olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppercorns
- 150ml/5fl oz white wine vinegar
- 100g/3½oz raisins
- 100g/3½oz pine nuts
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 10 sardines, scaled, gutted, rinsed and dried
- ½ tsp dried red chilli flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
For the kale
- 50g/1¾oz baby kale
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Put 150ml/5fl oz oil, the onions, bay leaves and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Cook over a low heat for 15–20 minutes. Stir in the raisins and pine nuts. Add the vinegar and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover and set aside.
Mix the flour with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Coat the sardines in the seasoned flour and place in the hot pan. Cook on both sides until golden. Transfer to a baking tray and cover with the onions.
Cover the tray with cling film and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Remove from the fridge 1 hour before serving.
When ready to serve, fry the baby kale with the anchovies, chilli and garlic in a frying pan over a medium heat. Serve the vegetables with the sardines.