less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 banana shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2cm/¾in piece ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 100g/3½oz shiitake mushrooms
- 4cm/1½in daikon, thinly sliced
- 6 baby carrots
- 50ml/2fl oz mirin
- 50ml/2fl oz soy sauce
- 500ml/18fl oz fish stock
- 1 whole monkfish tail, on the bone (approx. 750g/1lb 10oz)
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- handful fresh coriander leaves
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a lidded ovenproof dish and cook the shallot, garlic, ginger and star anise for 2-3 minutes. Add the miso paste, mushrooms, daikon, carrots, mirin, soy sauce and fish stock and bring to a gentle simmer.
In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the monkfish until coloured all over. Place the fish into the broth, making sure the broth only comes one-third of the way up the side of the monkfish. Put a lid on the dish and transfer to the oven to cook for 15–20 minutes.
To serve, remove the monkfish from the pot and take the flesh off the bone, carefully slicing into pieces. Pour the broth into serving bowls and place the monkfish inside. Garnish with the spring onions and coriander.