less than 30 mins
less than 10 mins
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the burgers
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander stalks
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, ground
- 600g/1lb 5oz cooked brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour
For the carrot pickle
- 3 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ cucumber, julienned
- 1 apple, peeled and julienned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the peanut sauce
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 brioche buns, halved
- 2 Little Gem leaves, chopped
- 2 beef tomatoes, sliced
To make the burgers, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger, coriander stalks and seeds until the onion is softened. Add the lentils and stir well to mix. Tip into a blender or food processor and pulse briefly with the chickpea flour and some salt and pepper, until a roughly blended mixture is formed. Shape into patties and heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Cook the burgers on each side for 2–3 minutes, until cooked and crisp on the outside.
To make the carrot pickle, place the carrots in a bowl and sprinkle with some salt. Leave for 30 minutes then rinse.
Heat the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the carrots, cucumber and apple. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
To make the peanut sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl or jug with 2 tablespoons of water.
To serve, put the burgers on the bottom halves of the brioche buns and top with lettuce, tomato and the top halves of the buns. Serve with the pickle and sauce.