less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the beetroot and horseradish
- 2 small cooked beetroot, grated
- 1–2 tbsp grated fresh horseradish root
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the fennel and razor clam slaw
- 100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
- 2 raw razor clams in shells, scrubbed
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds, julienned
- 1 lime, juice and zest only
- 1 Cox’s Orange Pippin apple, julienned
For the mackerel ceviche
- 1 sushi-grade whole mackerel, filleted, skin removed and cut small chunks
- 2 limes, juice only
- 1 tsp finely chopped coriander stalks
- ½ green chilli, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 50-100ml/2fl oz–3½fl oz dry cider
- 2 thin slices good-quality sourdough bread
- butter, softened
To make the beetroot and horseradish, place the beetroot in a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients, taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make the fennel and razor clam slaw, discard any clams with broken shells and any that refuse to close when tapped. Bring the wine to the boil in a lidded saucepan, add the clams, put the lid on and steam for 3–5 minutes or until they open. Drain and discard any that remain closed. Remove from the shell, discard the black stomach and chop the flesh into small pieces.
Mix the razor clams with the fennel, apple and lime juice and set aside.
To make the mackerel ceviche, place the mackerel chunks in a bowl and mix it with the lime juice, coriander, chilli and cider. Season with salt and leave to ‘cook’ for a minute or two.
To serve, chargrill the bread, spread each with a thick layer of butter and arrange it on 2 plates. Spread the beetroot over the buttered toast, top with the ceviche and garnish with the apple and razor clams.