less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 165g/5¾oz butter
- 1 whole pheasant, jointed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- pinch saffron
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 150g/5½oz quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tbsp sultanas
- 5 dried prunes, stones removed and soaked
- 5 dried apricots, soaked and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried sour cherries, soaked
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries, soaked
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 200ml/7fl oz chicken stock (or just enough to cover the base)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flatleaf parsley
Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a casserole dish. Fry the pheasant pieces until browned on all sides (don’t crowd the pan – if necessary, fry the meat in batches). Remove the pheasant from the pan and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
Add the rest of the butter to the dish and then add the onion, cinnamon, cardamom, saffron and tomato purée. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is slightly softened. Add the quinoa, fruits and nuts and stir to combine.
Add the pheasant back to the dish and pour in the stock – add just enough stock to cover the base of the dish with a depth of 1cm/½in.
Cover and simmer very gently for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and all of the stock has been absorbed. Check that the pheasant is cooked through.
Stir through the parsley and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.