less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
[col type=”one-fourth last”]
By Matt Tebbutt
For the spiced duck
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 duck breasts, fat scored
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tamarind aubergine
- 5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 aubergine, halved and flesh scored
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- pinch Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 slice fresh root ginger
- 1 star anise
- pinch ground coriander
- few black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300ml/10fl oz chicken or duck stock
- 2 tbsp dried Chinese black beans, soaked to rehydrate
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red amaranth
- aubergine skin, julienned and deep-fried (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
To make the spiced duck, warm the honey, soy sauce and rosemary in a small saucepan.
Season the duck breasts and place, skin-side down, in an ovenproof pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until the fat has rendered out and the skin is crisp. Turn over and brush the skin with the warm honey mixture. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and leave to rest.
To make the tamarind aubergine, preheat the grill to medium. Mix the teriyaki, tamarind and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush the aubergine generously with some of the marinade. Cook under the grill for 10–15 minutes, or until soft and slightly charred. Brushing with the marinade throughout the cooking.
Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan and sweat the shallots with the spices. Add the vinegar, sugar and the stock and cook until reduced by half. Strain the sauce and warm through again in the saucepan. Add the black beans and stir in the butter.
Slice the duck and place on a serving plate with the tamarind aubergine. Garnish with the chilli and herbs. Spoon over the sauce and serve.