less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the stock
- 250ml/9fl oz chicken stock
- prawn shells (see below)
- ginger and garlic peel (see below)
- chilli trimmings (see below)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
For the prawn dumplings
- 150g/5½oz raw shelled prawns, shells reserved (see above)
- 250g/9oz pork mince
- 1 garlic clove, grated, peel reserved (see above)
- 1 red chilli, trimmed and diced, trimmings reserved (see above)
- 1 tsp peeled and grated fresh root ginger, peel reserved (see above)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 36 ready-made wonton wrappers
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar
To make the stock, add the stock, shells, peel, trimming and garlic to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes.
To make the prawn dumplings, place all of the filling ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Place teaspoons of the filling mixture into the centre of one of the wanton wrappers. Gather up the sides of the wonton wrapper and wrap around the filling into a ball shape, pinching the top to seal. Repeat with the remaining wrappers until all of the filling is used up.
Place the dumplings in a steamer, cover with a lid and place over a saucepan of boiling water (making sure the water does not touch the base of the steamer). Steam for 8 minutes, or until cooked through.
Strain the stock mixture and pour into two bowls. Add the dumplings to the bowls, garnish with the spring onions, chives, soy and vinegar and serve immediately.