less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
- 1kg/2lb 4oz Maris piper potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stick rosemary
- 350g/12oz chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small butternut squash, roughly chopped
- 165g/5¾oz pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300g/10½ oz chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 x 400g/7oz tin chickpeas
- 2 preserved lemons, finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz vegan butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint (leave some springs for garnish)
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- handful parsley leaves, deep fried to garnish
Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until cooked through. Drain the potatoes, mash them and set aside.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Heat half the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion, garlic and celery. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the spices and bay leaves and rosemary, then the mushrooms and butternut squash. Fry for a further 10 minutes before adding the dates, tomatoes, chickpeas, preserved lemons and 400ml/14fl oz water. Bring to the boil then simmer until you have a pie filling consistency. Tip into a pie dish.
Beat the vegan butter and remaining olive oil into the mash and pipe or spoon it on top of the filling. Bake for 30 minutes until golden-brown and bubbling.
Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or pan until a cube of bread sizzles and browns when dropped in (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Carefully add the parsley leaves to the hot oil and once cooked, remove using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
Garnish the shepherd’s pie with the mint and parsley leaves and serve.