- 300ml/½ pint vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 8 soft-shell crabs
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the vegetable oil into a large pan and heat until a small cube of bread turns golden-brown in 30 seconds. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
- Place the flour in a dish and add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Roll the crabs in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Carefully add the crabs to the hot oil and deep fry until golden-brown and crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately.