over 2 hours
10 to 30 mins
By Paul A Young
From Saturday Kitchen
For the salted caramel sauce
- 100g/3½oz raisins (or sultanas)
- 50ml/2fl oz rum (or brandy or whisky)
- 100g/3½oz salted butter
- 100g/3½oz unrefined light muscovado sugar (or soft brown sugar)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 100g/3½oz double cream
For the banana chocolate brownie pudding
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250g/9oz unrefined caster sugar (or any sugar you have)
- 75g/2¾oz golden syrup (or honry or maple syrup)
- 275g/9¾oz dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids, (or any chocolate you have) broken into small pieces
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 or 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 70g/2½oz plain flour
To make the sauce, soak the raisins in the rum in a small bowl for 2–3 hours.
To make the pudding, preheat the oven to 190C/170C Fan/Gas 5. Grease a 15x10cm/6x4in baking dish or four individual pudding basins.
Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in saucepan until bubbling. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and mix well until melted. Add the eggs, beat well until smooth and then add the bananas. Add the flour and mix well. Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 25–30 minutes. It should still have some wobble when it comes out of the oven.
To continue making the sauce, bring the butter, sugar and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan and cook for 2 minutes. Take off the heat, add the cream and mix well. Stir in the rum and raisins. While the sauce is warm, pour over the pudding and leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.