less than 30 mins
less than 10 mins
- 150ml/5fl oz olive oil
- 50ml/1¾fl oz balsamic vinegar
- 1 large cooked red beetroot, cut into cubes
- 1 medium yellow beetroot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium candied beetroot, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 250g/9oz crème fraîche
- 225g/8oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 330ml/10½fl oz beer
- oil, for deep frying
- 2 mackerel fillets, bones removed, halved lengthways
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- rocket, to garnish
Toss the oil and vinegar with all the beetroot and season well.
Mix the dill with the crème fraîche and season.
Place the flour in a large bowl and whisk in the beer, a little at a time, until smooth.
Preheat a deep-fat fryer to 180C (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended).
Dust the mackerel with flour, shaking off the excess, dip into the batter and fry for 3–5 minutes, or until golden-brown. Drain on kitchen paper and season well.
Divide the beetroots between two plates and top with the dill crème fraîche. Place the mackerel on top and garnish with rocket.