less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
[col type=”one-fourth last”]
By Freddy Bird
From Saturday Kitchen[row]
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 1 head garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 large globe artichokes, see below for preparation
- 150g/5½oz cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 garlic cloves, 4 whole, skin on, 2 finely chopped
- 2 small red onions, halved and layers fanned out like petals
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped, plus 1 tsp to serve
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped, plus 1 tsp to serve
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped, plus 1 tsp to serve
- 150ml/5fl oz white wine
- 500ml/18fl oz vegetable stock
- 50g–100g/1¾oz–3½oz full-fat crème fraîche
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C F/Gas 6.
Fill a wide shallow saucepan with water and add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic bulb, salt and pepper. Add the artichokes and put a cartouche of baking paper on top of the water. Place a lid on top and cook the artichokes over a low heat for 30–40 minutes or until tender. Drain once cooked and set aside,
In the meantime, pour the remaining olive oil into a roasting tin, add the chopped garlic, cherry tomatoes, and cinnamon and mix well. Roast for 30-45 minutes. Set aside.
Place the onions in a saucepan with the whole garlic cloves, herbs, white wine and 50ml/2fl oz of water. Simmer until softened, but still retaining a bright and vibrant colour.
Heat the vegetable stock in another saucepan, add the artichokes and the roasted tomatoes to the pan (discard the cinnamon stick) and simmer for a few minutes. Drain the artichokes and tomatoes.
Serve the tomatoes, artichokes and onions garnished with herbs, crème fraiche (to taste) and a drizzle of olive oil.