less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Jane Baxter
From Saturday Kitchen
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 150g/5½oz kalettes, trimmed and outer leaves peeled
- 250g/9oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed, outer leaves peeled and a deep cross cut in the base of each sprout
- 175g/6oz plain flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp truffle oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 3 free-range egg whites
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- truffle salt and crumbled truffle pecorino, for sprinkling
- truffle mayonnaise, for dipping (optional)
Sieve the cornflour over the kalettes and sprouts and toss to coat thoroughly.
To make the batter, place the flour and olive and truffle oils in a bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add 200ml/7fl oz warm water until you have a smooth batter that is the consistency of double cream. Season well and stir through the Parmesan. Whisk up the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form and fold gently into the batter.
Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 190C. In batches, dip the kalettes and sprouts in the batter and shake off any excess then deep-fry for about 3 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to kitchen paper and sprinkle with truffle salt and pecorino. Serve with a drizzle of truffle oil, more truffle pecorino crumbled over the top and the truffle mayonnaise on the side for dipping, if using.