less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Anna Haugh
From Saturday Kitchen
For the pickled beetroot
- 1 small beetroot, very thinly sliced
- 100ml/3½fl oz white wine vinegar
- 50g/1¾oz caster sugar
- 2 good pinches salt
For the risotto
- 30ml/1fl oz olive oil
- 200g/7oz shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 70g/2½oz button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 125g/4½oz risotto rice
- 2 tbsp vegan white wine
- 300ml/10fl oz mushroom stock, warm
- 40g/1½oz soy ‘cream’
- pinch yeast flakes
- 5g/⅛oz yeast extract
- 40g/1½oz soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice only
- good-quality olive oil
- 10g/⅓oz mousseron mushrooms
- 10g/⅓oz white shimeji mushrooms
- 10g/⅓oz brown shimeji mushrooms
- 10g/⅓oz pink oyster mushrooms, torn into pieces
- 50g/1¾oz cordycep mushrooms
- 1 leaf curly kale, ripped into pieces
- 4 Paris brown mushrooms, very thinly sliced
To make the pickled beetroot, place the beetroot in a bowl. Place the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pan with 100ml/3½fl oz of water and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and pour it over the beetroot. Leave to rest at room temperature.
To make the risotto, heat the oil in a pan and fry the shallot and garlic for a few minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and rice. Pour in the white wine and allow the liquid to be absorbed.
Over a low heat, pour in about 200ml/7fl oz of the stock and stir occasionally. Once all the liquid has been absorbed, taste the rice and if it is still too hard, add the extra stock – you may not need it all.
To finish, add the soy cream, yeast flakes, soy sauce, yeast extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, stir well and check that the risotto is not too dry. It may need more liquid and if you have run out of stock, add a little water.
To garnish, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry all the mushrooms in the oil, except for the cordycep and Paris brown mushrooms. After you have cooked the other mushrooms for a minute, take the pan off the heat and add the cordyceps.
To serve, tear over some kale and top with thinly sliced Paris brown mushrooms.