less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Theo Randall
From Saturday Kitchen Best Bites
- 1 x 1.2-1.5kg/2lb 9oz-3lb 4oz organic chicken, boned out (except the wing) – weight given is before bones are removed
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 150g/5oz mascarpone
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1½ lemons, zest and juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g/5oz purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed
- 150g/5oz Romanesco broccoli, cut into spears
- Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6.
- Lay the chicken on a chopping board, skin-side down. Remove the two mini-fillets of chicken breast and set aside.
- Lay the slices of proscuitto over the chicken breast and stuff into the legs.
- In a small bowl, mix the mascarpone with the rosemary and lemon zest and juice.
- Place a spoonful of the mascarpone mixture onto both breasts and into the legs, reserving one spoonful.
- Flatten the mini-fillets slightly using a rolling pin and place back on top of the mascarpone-covered breasts. Roll the chicken over, tucking the legs back under and the skin around to neaten.
- Heat an ovenproof frying pan and add half of the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and place skin-side down in the frying pan. Fry for two minutes, or until the skin is golden-brown.
- Place in the oven and roast for 18-25 minutes, until cooked through – test the chicken is cooked by piercing the meat with a skewer; if the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and drain any excess fat out of the pan. Place the chicken onto a plate and rest, covered with aluminium foil, for five minutes.
- Add the final spoonful of the mascarpone mixture to the pan and whisk into the meaty juices.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the purple sprouting broccoli and Romanesco broccoli and cook for three minutes, or until just tender.
- Drain the broccoli and place back into the pan. Toss with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, carve the chicken in half and serve with the broccoli.