less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
Serves 4, as a starter
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the aromatic crab broth
- 600ml/20fl oz chicken stock
- 300g/10½oz crab shells, broken up
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 star anise, whole
- 2 tbsp mirin (or dry sherry)
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, leaves and stalks torn
For the crab wontons
- 150g/5½ oz chicken breast mince
- 200g/7oz fresh white crabmeat, shells reserved for stock
- 1 tsp peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 packet wonton wrappers
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill sprigs
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
To make the aromatic crab broth, boil the stock in a large pan with the crab shells, soy sauce, caster sugar, star anise, mirin (or dry sherry) and coriander for around 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the crab wontons, mix together the chicken mince, crabmeat, ginger, garlic and sesame oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay a wonton paper out and fill with about 1 teaspoon of the filling. Dab the edges with water and pinch together, so they have a frill on the outside and the filling is exposed. Repeat with all the wrappers and filling.
Boil some water in a steamer and lay some non-stick paper in the basket of the steamer. Add a single layer of wontons and steam with the lid on for around 8 minutes – you may need to do this in batches or on several levels of the steamer.
To finish the broth, strain through a fine sieve and taste.
To serve, put the wontons into serving bowls, add the spring onions, dill and red chillies, and finish with crab broth.