less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
Hairy Bikers recipes
From The Hairy Bikers' Northern Exposure
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or lard
- 300g/10½oz pork, preferably pork shoulder, diced
- 300g/10½oz stewing beef, diced
- 300g/10½oz lamb or mutton, preferably shoulder or neck fillet, diced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp allspice berries (optional)
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- mashed potato
- lingonberry jam
Preheat the oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas 2.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Brown all the meat thoroughly, in batches if necessary.
Put a layer of meat at the bottom of a large casserole dish. Sprinkle over a layer of onions and carrots (if using). Sprinkle over the some of the black peppercorns, and the allspice berries and bay leaves (if using). Season with salt. Continue with these layers, remembering to season with salt and pepper, until you have used up all of the ingredients.
Add enough cold water to almost cover the top layer of ingredients. Bring to the boil and then put in the oven. Cook for at least 2 hours, preferably longer – this can easily cook for up to 6 hours. Check regularly to see whether the meat is tender.
Serve with mashed potato and lingonberry jam.