less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
Makes 6 scotch eggs
Hairy Bikers recipes
From Hairy Bikers – Chicken & Egg
- 6 pickled eggs
- 2 tbsp celery salt
- 60g/2oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 600g/1lb 5oz Cumberland sausages, sausagemeat removed from the skins
- 100g/3½oz Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 1 x 30g packet cheese and onion crisps, crushed
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Take a pickled egg and roll it in celery salt, then seasoned flour.
Divide the sausagemeat into six portions. Roll each portion into a patty big enough to wrap around an egg. Wrap the sausagemeat around the eggs and roll into a ball shape.
Mix the breadcrumbs with the crisps. Dust the sausage-coated egg in flour, dip in beaten egg and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture.
Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or a deep-sided, heavy-bottomed pan to 160C, or until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns golden-brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not over-fill the pan or leave unattended).
Fry the eggs for about 8-10 minutes until golden-brown. Alternatively, shallow fry, turning occasionally, until cooked through.