less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
[col type=”one-fourth last”]
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ fennel bulb, diced and a few fronds reserved and chopped
- 125ml/4fl oz dry white wine
- 50ml/2fl oz crème fraîche
- 2 unsmoked bacon slices, finely chopped
- 1 small green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- handful panko breadcrumbs
- 4 raw razor clams in shells, scrubbed
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan and sweat the garlic and fennel for 5–10 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the liquid has reduced. Stir in the crème fraîche and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in another large frying pan and fry the bacon for 5 minutes, or until crisp. Stir in the chilli and breadcrumbs. Set aside.
Discard any clams with broken shells and any that refuse to close when tapped. Cook the clams in a saucepan of boiling salted water until they open. Discard any that remain closed. Remove from the shell, discard the stomach and chop the flesh into small pieces.
Clean the shells thoroughly. Mix the fennel mixture with the clam pieces and fill the shells. Place the shells in a steamer and steam for 1–2 minutes to warm through. Remove and sprinkle with the bacon mixture. Serve immediately, garnished with the fennel fronds.