less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
By Joze Pizarro
From Saturday Kitchen
For the braised oxtail
- 2 tbsp pork fat
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz oxtail, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 200ml/7fl oz sherry, ideally palo cortado
- 1 litre/1¾ pint chicken stock
- 4 slices sourdough
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and left whole
Heat the pork fat in a saucepan over a medium heat and brown the oxtail all over. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Add the chopped vegetables and the 2 types of paprika to the pan and fry until softened. Pour in the sherry and return the oxtail to the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes to reduce the volume of liquid.
Add the stock and cover with a lid. Cook over a low heat for 2–3 hours, or until tender.
To serve, heat a grill to hot and grill the sourdough slices. Rub the olive oil and garlic clove over the sourdough. Serve the garlic toasts with the braised oxtail.