less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
For the salmon and scallop tartare
- 200g/7oz sushi-grade salmon, skin removed, pin-boned and finely chopped
- 4 sushi-grade scallops, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the citrus dressing
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 orange, juice only
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 75ml/2½fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
For the Japanese pickles
- 200ml/7fl oz rice wine vinegar
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ daikon, peeled and chopped
- 1 baby cucumber, chopped
- 1 banana shallot, thinly sliced
- pinch salt
For the lotus root crisps
- 1 fresh lotus root, thinly sliced
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the ponzu dressing
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
For the squid and tuna
- 4 sushi-grade baby squid, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 200g/7oz sushi-grade tuna, thinly sliced
- 2 red or purple shiso leaves
- 2 green shiso leaves
- 4 breakfast radishes, sliced
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
To make the tartare, place the chopped salmon and scallops into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
To make the citrus dressing, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Pour over the tartare, cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
To make the pickles, place the vinegar, sugar and turmeric into a small saucepan and cook until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and leave to pickle while you prepare the other parts of the dish.
To make the lotus root crisps, Fill a deep-fat fryer or a large, deep, heavy-bottomed pan two-thirds full with the oil. Heat to 180C (a cube of bread should turn brown in one minute when dropped in.) CAUTION: Hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended. Deep-fry the lotus slices for 1–2 minutes until crisp. Transfer to kitchen paper to drain.
To make the ponzu dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
To serve, place the sliced tuna and squid onto plates and dress with the ponzu dressing. Place a chef’s ring on top and fill with the salmon and scallop tartare. Top with chives and serve with the lotus root crisps, pickles and leaves on the side.