less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Tom Kitchin
From Saturday Kitchen
For the pancake batter
- 120g/4½oz gram flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the crab mixture
- 100g/3½oz white crab meat, picked
- 200g/7oz finely chopped fresh root ginger, blanched 3 times
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- bunch coriander, finely shredded, few leaves reserved to garnish
- 10g red chillies, finely diced
- 10g green chillies, finely diced
- 100ml/3½fl oz fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Little Gem lettuce leaf, cut in quarters, to garnish
For the brown crab mayo
- 250g/9oz brown crab meat, picked
- 25g/1oz free-range egg yolk
- 15g/½oz Dijon mustard
- 250g/9oz mayonnaise
- 25ml/1fl oz lemon juice
To make the pancakes, combine all the batter ingredients with 300ml/10fl oz water, or enough to make a thin batter, in a bowl and whisk vigorously. Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large frying pan and when hot, ladle in a quarter of the batter and swirl to create a 2mm thick pancake. Cook on a medium–high heat until golden brown, flip over and cook, then repeat to create four pancakes in total. Keep each pancake warm as you cook.
To make the crab mixture, mix the white crab meat, ginger, spring onion, coriander and chillies in a large bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, to taste, and season with salt and pepper.
To make the brown crab mayo, add the brown crab meat, egg yolk and Dijon mustard to a food processor and slowly start to mix. Very gradually add the mayonnaise and slowly mix. Pour in lemon juice and season with salt.
Serve the pancakes with the crab mixture on top and the mayo on the side. Garnish with coriander and lettuce. Store any leftover mayo in the fridge and consume within 1 day.