less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Glynne Purnell
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g/5½oz fresh morel mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 200ml/7fl oz sweet white wine
- 350ml/12fl oz chicken stock
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
- 75g/2¾oz butter, plus a knob for the noodles
- 1 sweetheart cabbage, stalks removed and shredded
- 50g/1¾oz wild garlic
- 400g/14oz dried noodles
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Season the flour with salt and pepper and then dust the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Heat the oil in a heavy-based ovenproof pan. Fry the chicken pieces skin-side down until golden. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Add the wine and stir to mix with any sediment at the bottom of the pan. Add the stock and simmer for a couple of minutes. Add half of the cream. Place the pan in the oven for 20–30 minutes. Check that the chicken has cooked through with no traces of pink. Check the consistency of the sauce and add the rest of the cream if desired.
Heat the butter in a lidded frying pan. Add the cabbage and wild garlic with a splash of water. Put a lid on the pan. Cook for 1–2 minutes until just wilted and season with salt and pepper.
Cook the noodles in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain, add the knob of butter and season with salt and pepper. Place the cabbage, wild garlic and noodles on warmed plates. Ladle the chicken and sauce on the side and serve immediately.