less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
For the burgers
- 600g/1lb 5oz carrots, peeled and cut into 1–2cm rounds
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roughly bashed in a pestle and mortar
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 200g/7oz smoked tofu
- 100g/3½oz rye breadcrumbs
- small bunch flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 50g/1¾oz grated Parmesan (or a similar vegetarian alternative)
- 50g/1¾oz toasted sesame seeds
- 6 burger buns or slices rye bread
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- pinch smoked paprika
- 12 small lettuce leaves
- 2 avocados, sliced
- punnet salad cress, picked
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Put the carrots in a roasting tray and coat in the spices and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cover with foil. Roast for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and roast for another 10 minutes, until soft and starting to brown.
Meanwhile, crumble half the tofu into a bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest, Parmesan and sesame seeds.
Blend the carrots with the remaining tofu in a food processor, until well combined and pretty smooth. Allow to cool.
Mash together the carrot and breadcrumb mixtures, until they come together. If your mixture looks a little dry, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or water.
Shape the mixture into six patties, and put them into the fridge for 20 minutes.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the burgers and for 3–4 minutes on each side, flipping them once they are well coloured.
To serve, toast the burger buns. Spread each bun with a tablespoon of mayonnaise, add a pinch of paprika, then top with the lettuce leaves, avocado, burger and a handful of cress.