less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Anna Haugh
From Saturday Kitchen
For the chicken balls
- 200g/7oz skinless chicken breast (or use turkey or white fish)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 100ml/3½fl oz double cream
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 50g/1¾oz sesame seeds
- 50g/1¾oz black sesame seeds
- 50g/1¾oz sunflower seeds
For the dressing
- 80g/2¾oz watercress (or rocket)
- 1 tsp French mustard
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegetable oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 80g/2¾oz watercress
- 6 radishes, 3 sliced, 3 quartered
- 6 breakfast radishes, 3 sliced, 3 quartered
To make the chicken balls, place the chicken in a food processor and blend for a minute and then scrape down the sides. Add the salt, blend and then add the egg yolk. Slowly pour in the cream while blending.
Fill a deep-fat fryer or a large, deep, heavy-bottomed pan two-thirds full with the oil. Heat to 180C (a cube of bread should turn brown in one minute when dropped in.) CAUTION: Hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.
Mix together the seeds in a bowl. Form a tablespoon of the chicken mixture into a ball and roll in the seeds until covered. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining mixture. Deep fry the seeded chicken until golden-brown and cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper.
To make the dressing, blend the watercress, mustard, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, garlic and 1 tablespoon of water in a food processor. Slowly pour in the oil, pulsing until the mixture emulsifies. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the salad, place all of the ingredients into a large bowl, add some of the dressing and toss to coat. Finish with the lemon juice.
Divide the remaining salad between plates, top with the leaves and chicken balls.