less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
- 2 smoked haddock fillets
- 1.5 litres/2¾ pints whole milk
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 60g/2¼oz unsalted butter
- 50g/1¾oz strong cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche or double cream
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- 1 ready-made 22cm/8½in round shortcrust pastry case
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- boiled Jersey Royal potatoes, to serve
- mixed green salad, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Place the haddock and milk in a large saucepan and poach for 8–10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove the fish, leave to cool and break the haddock into flakes. Place the haddock in a bowl and stir in 500ml/18fl oz of the poaching milk, dill, butter, cheese and crème fraîche and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg yolks and mix to combine.
Whisk the whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites gently through the haddock mixture. Spoon the haddock mixture into the tart shell and bake for 35 minutes or until the filling has risen and the pastry is golden.
Serve the tart in slices with the boiled Jersey Royals and green salad.