less than 30 mins
10 to 30 mins
By Jane Baxter
From Saturday Kitchen
- 75g/2½oz pecans
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, plus more if needed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 small red cabbage, finely shredded
- pinch brown sugar, plus more if needed
- 100g/3½ oz blue cheese, crumbled/diced
- 2 apples, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp chopped marjoram
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
Toss the pecans in salt and the cayenne pepper. Place on a baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
Put the oil and vinegar in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly. Tip in the cabbage and stir fry together for a few more minutes, or until the colour changes and the cabbage wilts. Season with salt and pepper really well, adding a little sugar and more vinegar if needed.
Finally add the cheese, apple, herbs and toasted nuts. Toss together and serve.