less than 30 mins
1 to 2 hours
By Sally Abé
From Saturday Kitchen
For the croquettes
- 1 large King Edwards potato
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 25g/1oz unsalted butter
- 350ml/10fl oz full-fat milk
- 1 tsp ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground hot paprika
- 100g/3½oz gruyère, grated
- 200g/7oz cooked white crabmeat
- 100g/3½oz cooked brown crabmeat
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 100g/3½oz Japanese Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- oil, for deep-frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 100g/3½oz shelled peas
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, sliced
- ½ bunch chervil, leaves only
- ½ bunch dill, leaves only
For the dressing
- 100ml/3½fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 25ml/1fl oz white wine vinegar
- 25ml/1fl oz elderflower cordial
- lemon wedges, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
To make the croquettes, prick the potato all over with a fork. Sprinkle salt over a baking tray and put the potato on top. Bake for about 1 hour, or until tender.
Make a roux by heating the flour and butter in a pan until a biscuit-like aroma is released. Pour in 250ml/9fl oz of the milk gradually, stirring with each addition. Keep cooking and stirring until all the 250ml/9fl oz milk is absorbed to make a white sauce. Season with salt, pepper and both types of paprika. Add the grated cheese and stir together.
Transfer the cheese sauce to a tray and leave to cool slightly, then mix the two types of crabmeat and the chives into the sauce. Using clean hands, roll the mixture into 30g/1oz balls and place in the freezer for 15 minutes to semi-freeze.
Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 180C (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
Prepare a plate of flour, another of breadcrumbs and a shallow dish with the beaten eggs mixed with the remaining 100ml/3½fl oz milk.
Panne the croquettes by rolling them first in the flour, then the egg and milk mixture and then the breadcrumbs. Deep fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden-brown and piping hot. Carefully remove from the fryer and drain on kitchen paper.
To make the salad, prepare a bowl of ice cold water. Add the peas to a pan of boiling salted water. Cook for 1½ –2 minutes, then drain and quickly transfer to the bowl of cold water. Drain again. Mix the peas with the remaining salad Ingredients together in a bowl.
To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
To serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss together. Divide among four plates. Place 3 croquettes on each plate and serve with the lemon wedges on the side.