less than 30 mins
over 2 hours
By Matt Tebbutt
From Saturday Kitchen
- 50g/1¾oz butter, softened
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest only
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x approx 2kg/4lb 8oz lamb shoulder
- 100g/3½oz feta, to serve
For the braised vegetables
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 200g/7oz green beans, cut into thirds
- 3 globe artichokes, prepared and quartered
- 150ml/5fl oz dry white wine
- 2 aubergines, diced
- 300g/10½oz okra
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g/5½oz chard, rocket and spinach mix
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh oregano
Preheat the oven to 160C/140C Fan/Gas 3.
Mix together the butter, oregano, lemon zest, garlic and salt in a bowl. Make small incisions all over the lamb and rub the butter into the flesh. Put it in a roasting tray and roast for 4–5 hours, depending on weight of the shoulder, or until the juices run clear.
To make the braised vegetables, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add the green beans and artichokes, pour in the wine and simmer for 10–15 minutes. Add the aubergines, okra and courgettes, then the tomatoes. Simmer for 20 minutes, then stir in the chard, rocket, spinach and oregano.
Serve the lamb with the braised vegetables and crumble the feta over the top.