less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
[col type=”one-fourth last”]
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml/14fl oz hot chicken stock
- 150ml/5fl oz soured cream
For the dumplings
- 230g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75g/2½oz suet
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 500ml/18fl oz chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan placed over a medium heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add them to the pan. Cook until browned all over. Remove the chicken and set aside.
Add the onions, garlic and peppers to the pan and gently fry for 10 minutes. Stir in the paprikas and flour. Cook, stirring all the time, for a few minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and stock, then return the chicken thighs to the pan. Simmer gently for 30–40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, to make the dumplings, mix together the flour, suet, herbs and seasoning in a bowl. Add 100ml/3½fl oz water and mix to form a sticky dough.
Roll the dough into small balls and drop into a shallow baking dish. Pour over the hot chicken stock and bake for 30 minutes.
When ready to serve, stir the soured cream into the chicken and serve with the dumplings.