less than 30 mins
30 mins to 1 hour
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 6 baby artichokes, peeled, choke removed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 100g/3½oz celeriac, peeled and cut into 1cm/¼in pieces
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1cm/¼in pieces
- 100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
- 100ml/3½fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 cooked winkles, shells removed
- 2 cooked snails, shells removed
- 1 orange, peel julienned only
- 1 tbsp basil shoots
- 1 tbsp garlic shoots
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan over a high heat and sear the artichokes on all sides. When coloured reduce the heat and add the onion, garlic, fennel seeds, celeriac and carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the wine and half the vegetable stock and cover with greaseproof paper. Simmer for 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper and mix in a little more olive oil.
Heat a little olive oil and the rest of the stock in a frying pan and reheat the winkles and snails until hot.
Bring a small pan of water to the boil and blanch the orange peel for 2 minutes then drain on kitchen paper.
To serve, divide the artichokes between two serving bowls. Pour some of the other vegetables over the top along with the winkles and snails. Drape over the orange peel and garnish with the basil and garlic shoots.